Sugar Me Sweet ~ Pendant: Cindy Gimbrone, Enamel Bead: Sue Beads, Lampwork: J Savina Beads, Ceramic: Golem Studio.

Monday, February 14, 2011

And There Was Glaze...

Last night I was able to do my first glaze firing! Sometimes finding a solid block of 4 hours can be tough but I fired the kiln last evening and was able to wake up this morning to a cooled batch of glazed beads! Considering this was my first attempt I think they turned out pretty good! I learned a lot about how the finished product completely depends on how you apply the glaze. I think I need to work on my brush technique and do some test tiles but I couldn't resist glazing some of my first batch of bisque. Thankfully the glaze adhered to the beads, there were no beads stuck together or stuck to the rods, there was no pools of glaze in the bottom of my kiln and I didn't burn my house down.
All in all I'd label this first glaze firing a success! ;-)

Here are the beads before the firing
In-the-Kiln-Before-Firing

And after
In-the-Kiln


The beads!
First-Glaze

I doubt I will end up using any of these but I have learned a lot and can't wait to fire another batch! The best part though is that my kiln firing jitters seem to have disappeared! I can't wait to do it again!

Smiles,
Lisa

PS: Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Glad it worked out, I think you should use them, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. The colours are great.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are beautiful! And it's a great thing you can't wait to try again. :3 I can't wait to see what you come up with next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beads came out great! Things sometimes go wrong in a firing, but most always there is something to learn and do better next time, it can be fixed if you reglaze and fire again..... So just have fun in the process and enjoy your beauties when you open the kiln.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much ladies! Your encouragement means so much to me!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...